Sunday 19 March 2006

Saturday in London

It's just as well, for my bank balance, that I only go to London once a year! The exhibition (China: The Three Emperors, 1662-1795) that was the prime reason for going was excellent, although The Wiz, who knows Chinese history very well, grumbled that the audio-guide commentary - spoken by Michael Wood - was not detailed enough.
I managed to get almost everything I needed/wanted from Hatchards, Grant and Cutler (foreign language bookshop), Marks & Spencer and HMV, as well as finding some good presents in a bath-oils shop near Liberty. I don't want to admit how many books, CDs and DVDs I struggled back with, although I still have 3 DVDs to look out for. Now all I have to do is find the time to watch/read/ listen to everything!
London has about 10 million inhabitants, the same as the whole of Belgium. So how come, while strolling down Piccadilly, I ran into 3 friends from Brussels who had gone over for the weekend?!

1 Comments:

At 20/3/06 17:43, Blogger qaminante said...

Empresses were singularly lacking at this exhibition although there were some stunning portraits of courtesans. There were beautifully embroidered silk robes worn by the 3 emperors, and lovely silk banners, but what I would have liked to take away were some snuff bottles and chrysanthemum plates (also a pair of chairs..). When I think of how much is on offer in London and Paris I feel a bit guilty that I don't go often enough. But then, I appreciate it all the more when I do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home