Saturday 4 March 2006

Anima

After seeing all those movies over the last couple of weeks, this week we had the Anima cartoons festival, in which I had selected only the 5 being shown in the original Japanese with subtitles, not dubbed into French:
- The Book of the Dead/Shisha no Sho, historical ghost story made using puppets, the puppet animation and backgrounds were beautifully done but I wasn't that keen on the story;
- Grave of the Fireflies/Hotaru no Haka, very sad story of 2 children in Japan during and just after WWII;
- Only Yesterday/Omohide poro poro, romantic story about a young girl growing up in Tokyo but who loves the countryside;
- My neighbours the Yamada/Hohokekyo tonari no Yamada-kun, my favourite, not only beautifully drawn but very funny scenes from everyday family life with some gloriously surreal flights of fancy and quotations from Basho to boot;
- Pompoko/Heisei tanuki gassen pompoko - ecologically-minded fable concerning a revolt by the tanuki (sort of badger) against human expansion into their territory, which for some reason is on general release in Belgium this week.
I really don't think I want to set foot in a cinema now for several months, and anyway I have heaps of books waiting to be read!

5 Comments:

At 4/3/06 11:00, Blogger Mridula said...

I am interested but these movies will never see the light in India!

 
At 4/3/06 16:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 works of Hayao Miyazaki were shown.(pompoko and omoide poroporo). I thought why these 2 works was choosen? Because other works of Miyazaki was much better...

 
At 4/3/06 17:25, Blogger qaminante said...

Greensleeves, you are right it was very sad and as it was a Wednesday afternoon when there is no school here, the cinema was full of children in tears.
Miki, according to the programme guide, all of these were by Isao Takahata, who works at Ghibli Studios with Hayao Miyazaki - apparently they worked together on the animation for Horus: Prince of the Sun/Taiyo no Oji - Horuso no Daibuken. I didn't see that as it was being shown in French and I don't like dubbed movies, even if I don't understand the original language. The same applies to 2 others that were on offer, Chie the Brat/Jarinko Chie and Goshu the cellist/Serohiki no Goshu. If there is anything you particularly recommend, let me know and I'll get it on DVD. Spirited Away/Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi, by Miyazaki, is already on my list!
Mridula, perhaps we can arrange an exchange - we don't get many Hindi movies here! I forgot to mention that I already had Monsoon Wedding but I'll look out for the other 2 you recommended next time I'm in London.

 
At 6/3/06 08:09, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those was works of Isao Takahata! I didn't know it. Thank you for your information. Near my house,there is a a rental video&DVD shop. There is a section of the works of Hayao Miyazaki which included the works of Isao Takahata. So I was convinced that both ponpoko and omideporoporp are by Miyazaki. Spirited Away/Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi is really good! And I also like"HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE/Howl no ugoku shiro" which was nominated for an list of candidates Academy Award in this year.(I have an impression that Spirited Away/Sen to Chihiro no is more japanease than HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE/Howl no ugoku shiro.) Most favotite one as the work of Hayao Miyazaki is "MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO/Tonari no totoro". Also I sometimes saw KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE/Majyo no takkyuu bin again and again. In MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO/Tonari no totoro there is a lot of contryside views in Japan. And I think this movie admire "life". I especially recommend "MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO/Tonari no totoro".

 
At 6/3/06 15:27, Blogger qaminante said...

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, Miki, I will see what I can find.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home