Sunday 19 February 2006

Men in black (hats)

I'm in a cinema-going phase at the moment, today it was a movie recommended by a friend who lives in Seoul, called "Untold Scandal" - a Korean version of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses". I kept trying to identify locations that looked very like some of the palaces I visited in Seoul, but they all look quite similar anyway, and it's quite likely they built their own for the set. The (18th century, Chosun dynasty) costumes were superb, but the men's hats struck me as very funny.

The men were mostly in white, with even taller black hats than the one shown here, which is worn by a guard outside Changgyeonggung Palace (interesting choice of colour for a military uniform!). They were also worn with a strange black under-cap, pictures of both can be seen here. Apart from the stunning visuals, the acting is also superb, but of course the story is not the most uplifting in the world, and I felt there was an unresolved issue concerning the fate of the young girl who is debauched by the "hero". Or maybe I wasn't paying attention...

4 Comments:

At 20/2/06 02:13, Blogger b o o said...

i have seen this on dvd. the scenery was stunning but i found the costumes to be goofy. maybe its just me :)

 
At 21/2/06 07:51, Blogger Mridula said...

Have you seen any Hindi movie recently? If you can get the DVDs and wish to watch let me know. The pictures are very interesting.

 
At 21/2/06 10:33, Blogger qaminante said...

Hi Mridula, no nothing recent, we rarely get Hindi films in Brussels, but I've seen a few on Dutch TV and last year I saw "Kal Ho Naa Ho" and "Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham" in a film festival here. I did find "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai" (bit of a Shahrukh Khan theme going on here..!) and "Lagaan" on DVD and will be looking out for others when I go to London next month - anything you recommend?!

 
At 28/2/06 08:11, Blogger Mridula said...

Quaminante, try Mr & Mrs Iyer and Monsoon Wedding and if possible Page 3 too. I found all of them interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home