Saturday 14 January 2006

More videos

Had agreed with The Wiz to go to see Japanese Kodo drummers in Antwerp at the end of this month, but after getting hold of the details yesterday, it's a bit depressing. The cheapest ticket is €52 - very expensive for Belgium, the TOP price for a show I am going to in Brussels next week is €44 - plus so far it seems you can only book via their 0900 telephone line at a cost of 45 cents a minute, and I know from experience how they keep you on those lines while you navigate through language selection and so on, and hear all about future events before you can actually book your ticket. So unless we can find some other source of tickets, we may have to be content with the video on here.

While looking for other sources, I stumbled across a publicity video for an India-themed event which sounds like enormous fun for anyone (like me!) who loves Bollywood. It's not until the end of April and is on at a venue I hate, but I think I shall have to plan to be there.

I also found a video about Belgium which is interesting, though not as good (given the somewhat didactic commentary) as the one I saw in the Belgian pavilion at Expo 2005 in Aichi, which used some special camera technique to produce a very wide, panoramic picture composed of several overlapping images, most filmed from a helicopter or some other high vantage point, and shown almost "in the round". It's funny how such images can be better than the real thing! And some say the camera never lies...

5 Comments:

At 14/1/06 20:48, Blogger qaminante said...

Yes I heard it is very hard work, and one can see it builds muscle! The group that will be in Antwerp this month is coming back in March, to Ostend and Rotterdam, perhaps I will see them then.

 
At 14/1/06 23:07, Blogger Mridula said...

I could not see the India theme video but I can see you have enjoyed books by Indian origin/Indian writes and have actually lived in India! My first time at your blog.

 
At 15/1/06 00:50, Blogger Dakota said...

That is really expensive! I saw Yamato – the drummers of Japan, a couple of times. Great show! If I remember correctly the tickets where 35 euros (could be more, could be less). I don’t know if Yamato is playing anywhere near you but you could check their site http://www.yamato.jp

 
At 15/1/06 01:23, Blogger qaminante said...

Hi Mridula, yes I read a lot of books by Indian authors, it's a long time since I lived in (South) India - I left when I was 14 - but I have been back 3 times, most recently in 2000. I checked the link so don't know why the video didn't work for you!
Dakota, I will look into that - the prices in Antwerp are €52, €57 and €62 and the same in Ostend in March.

 
At 15/1/06 09:38, Blogger Govindraj Ethiraj said...

Interesting that you found your way into www.datelinebombay.com ! Note that you are a fan of Eric Newby's Walk On the Hindu Kush. Same here. Have three other books including one autographed by the author which I bought at travel book store Stanfords in Covent Garden, London ! Happy Travelling..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home