Sunday 20 April 2008

Sum up life in six words

I was just reading about a book collecting six-word memoirs, entitled "Not quite what I was planning". The one I liked best was "Me see world! Me write stories!" (Elizabeth Gilbert, who seems to me to have been on much the same track already with the title of her book "Eat, Pray, Love", about stays in Italy, India and Bali).I also liked "Am I lost or just wandering?"
It seems the inspiration was an ultra-short story by Hemingway: “For sale: baby shoes, never worn.” I'm sure the form also features in ads like "No bells, no whistles, just juice", not to mention bumper stickers - if I had a bumper to stick one on, mine would read "So many books, so little time"..
As for my 6-word memoir: "Never the bridesmaid, never the bride" is true but too like Rip Riley's "No wife, no kids, no problems", and also a bit negative. I think I might settle on "I was a bookworm, mutatis mutandis", but only certain colleagues would understand it!

1 Comments:

At 15/5/08 19:06, Blogger Kim said...

THis is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home